Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Doggie Dieting, Overpriced Lawyers and Lazer Lying




So I always have all these cool ideas on what to write in my blog. All day long I write the story in my head but by the time I get a chance to sit down and write......it's gone.

Instead I will just sit here and type up what's been going on all week. So let's see:

I bought a bag of those Valentine Heart Candy. I love the little messages on them but was pretty shocked and perhaps a little annoyed at the new stuff on them. "Tweet me" "Text me" blah blah blah. I picked those out and threw them away while tossing some at my husband. "Me & You" "Wink, Wink" while he laughed as each one landed in front of him every 10 seconds. I had poured the candy into a small bowl with a screw top lid on it because my dog likes to jump in my chair with me and whine for candy. (No I don't give her any!) But the funny part about it is she will GUARD the candy. She lays down on top of it and if you try to reach for it she hunches over it and growls at you. So now she is helping me in my quest to lose weight. Anytime I want to snack I just put it in a bowl and let her lay down on it so that if I want it, I have to brave getting past a 10 lb doggie to get it. I tell you, it's pretty effective.

I don't remember if I posted this but we have started the process of getting full custody of Cody. I hired a lawyer and he only wanted THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! for a retainer. I am Miss Cheap, it was VERY hard to write that check but I ponied up b/c there is no way Cody is going back with his insane mother. Now hopefully this lawyer works as fast as he cashed that check!

Oh, how's this for dealing with issues of a 12 yr old kid. So Cody comes home from school Monday with a little Lazer Pointer thingy. I ask him where he got it and he said the bus driver gave it to him for being good on the bus. Well, I know that the teachers and bus drivers give the kids in Elementary school little prizes for being good and stuff but a lazer? My husband thought it was fishy too. Especially since we live right next to a small airport. So he took it away from Cody and waited at the bus stop yesterday morning with Cody to confront the bus driver. Here is how the conversation went:

Hubby: did you give this lazer to Cody yesterday?
Bus Driver: no, I never even seen that lazer before.
Hubby: Cody I thought you said the bus driver gave this too you.
Cody: Yes Mr. Busdriver, you did.
Hubby: I am taking Cody to school today and going talk to the principal to get to the bottom of this.

So Hubby gets to the school, talks to the principal with Cody, leaves the school to come home and phone rings. Principal lady says "Cody wants to tell you guys something". Cody gets on phone "I'm sorry I lied, this 5th grader boy gave it to me". Principal lady gets back on the phone and says " I told Cody I was going to review the tapes from the camera on the bus and he immediately told me that he lied". Well it figures, since this is his new favorite thing to do. So the school confiscated the lazer and left it up to us to punish him.

Arghhh! I am getting so tired of this. That he could actually stand there to this man's face and lie and said "Yes you gave this to me" really discourages me because it shows lack of remorse and guilt. When he got home we sat for a long time and I told him that he could have gotten this man fired and that the man would not be able to feed or take care of his family all b/c Cody lied. That his actions have consequences that could affect more than just us. Then I gave him a huge plastic tote, sent him to his room to pack up all toys, electronics and games. He has a chart on how he can earn each one back. Some will take longer than others. I had him write down, in his journal, about what he done and what could have happened and how that would have made him feel so that he can discuss this with his therapist. He also had to write a letter to the bus driver apologizing for his actions and I stood at the bus stop this morning to make sure he gave the note to the bus driver and apologize out loud for what he did. Sometimes apologizing out loud is more effective than anything.

Cody can make you feel so SORRY for him. When he gets in trouble, he reverts to trying to please you as much as possible. "I'm sorry" "Please don't be mad at me" "I love you". So on and so forth and you just want to let it slide but I worked as a drill instructor at a juvenile boot camp so I know that I have to stick to my guns.

I know kids lie and do mischivious things but sheesh, this was kind of big b/c a man could have lost his job over this! So that was my frustrating week and hopefully the rest of it goes by without anymore incident.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's all I can say is WOW!

    I think you and your husband handled that situation extremely well. I think it's good that you've punished him by taking things away and instead of just giving them back you are making him earn them back. I also think it was very good for him to write a letter and say he was sorry to the bus driver and that you made sure he did it really shows him that your not going to back down from what you've told him has to be done. That you are willing to do what it takes to make sure he follows through.

    Oh and it's hilarious about the dog guarding the candy, seriously what a way to keep you from eating it..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I borrow your dog and put her in front of my pantry...lol.

    I think you handled the lying incident well. I have 2 boys (13 and 17)...parenting can be tough. You all did the right thing. Kids don't totally get how badly their lying can affect others. Anyhow...good job on how you all handled it..

    ReplyDelete